Access management is considered to be the heart of corporate security. Though it is a difficult task it has a potential for great savings. It is arguably the broadest and concerned issue in IT security. There are extremely few concepts as wide as access management in the corporate world concerning security of data and information.
It affects areas of managing identity in an enterprise business context. They all are completely dependent on secure and reliable access management.
Mentioned below are few tips for successful access management:
1. Understanding your Business Needs to Optimize Features: It is extremely important to understand business needs at the initial stage. Later establish a road to create the data points. One size will not fit in here. Ensure that all the different phases of access management are tied to quantifiable business results.
2. Review Policy and Risk Involved: It is essential to conduct a thorough review of business risk factors and existing security procedures and policies before beginning to spec the system. A solid base will ensure a realistic and measured outcome. One need to check the department responsibilities and internal policies with respect to their updation as minor changes can render them obsolete.
3. Review your Manual Identity Process: One should ensure and review whether their manual processes are right and are workable. Establish the problem at the first stage and confirm its working at every interval. Ensure the process that you are streamlining and automating fits the bill. Simply automating without prior checks can result in expensive volte-face in the future.
4. Avoid Rushing in: Successful implementation can go up till 3 years. Avoid cutting corners, as cleaning up the mess can be time consuming, non-productive and difficult.
5. Quick Wins: Avoid biting off more than you can chew. Start your implementation process through a small business case that is localized and easy to manage. Use this experience to learn and move on to bigger projects with all your operational loopholes covered.
6. Co-operation: Co-ordination and cooperation is a key to successful deployment and getting the right people in the business. On boarding of current resource is essential. One should involve personnel across all levels, application owners, executives and end users. A siloed approach will fail and not be successful.
7. Educate: It is extremely important to educate end users, IT staff, and project runners and ensure that the entire regular fresher's are scheduled.
8. Regularly Check Maintenance: This system needs regular maintenance. It is essential to keep pace with product updates and market standards along with technical changes and process optimizations.
In case of business realignments, reassessments of various responsibilities are essential.